home made play dough


I already tried all kinds of play dough recipes- never one that included cooking. Today I tried. I used this recipe as a base. It worked quite well- but I had to add a bit more flour. I also had no cream of tarter- so I used baking powder.

For each colour I used this base:

  • 100- 120 g flour
  • 2 dl water
  • 50 g salt
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 10 g baking powder
  • any additions like spices or food colour
Pour everything into a pan, mix everything together well, cook over medium heat until it starts to clump. Once you have a good junk that sticks together- take the dough out of the pan. Wait a bit until the dough cooled a bit- not that you will burn your hands. Then knead. It's a really smooth and soft dough. If it sticks too much, just add some flour.

For the yellow dough: I added turmeric
For the green dough: green food colour and a few drops of tea tree oil after I took the dough out of the pan- you could add all kinds of essences.
For the pink dough: red food colour- you could add juice of red beet. I also added some rose water and smashed, old make up. The make up was supposed to add a nice shine, but you can hardly see anything. I guess you would need a big amount.






Comments

Anonymous said…
This is my favourite thing to do with my students! There’s so much to learn: Chemistry, recipe reading, writing, fine motor… the list goes on :). My favourite has to be just plain cinammon. The kids turn it into a bakery.

Popular Posts