Dalyiat-el-Ruha was a small village next to the Kibbutz. The land on which the Kibbutz was built was purchased from the village and for almost 10 years the two existed peacefully next to each other. The old Arab-village with its Muslim population and the new Kibbutz with the Jews that came from Europe.
|Arab village near Jericho, 1900|
|Arabs in Palestine, during World War II|
|Palestinian refugees, 1948|
Her father- his name was Busja- was the mukhtar of Dalia (mukhtar= head of the village). He learned Arabic and was able to communicate with the people of Dalyiat-el-Ruha. Shula remembers that sometimes men from the village came to visit her father and she thought they were a bit scary looking in their traditional clothes and their headdress (kufya). She recalls also baskets filled with cookies they brought.